Tuesday 30 July 2013

Pittsburgh in Photography

Being passionate about both Pittsburgh and photography, few months ago I decided to put them together, for a personal project. Having some time to explore the city and increase my technical skills, I also started to study quite seriously anything I could discover about my two subjects. 


The first useful tool in my double research was discovering an issue of Next Level (whose tagline is art/photography/ideas) about Pittsburgh. It is published in London and each number focuses on one city, from any part of the World, provided it is vibrant and creative enough. PGH can definitely check both.


That particular issue, edition #22, was also related to the Pittsburgh Photo Fair that occurred in May 2013. That event, together with the Next Level zine, were the first steps of my research on Pittsburgh in the world of photography. My research, actually, started getting more and more interesting as I kept discovering that, nowadays, there is too little photography about Pittsburgh. I mean: about the contemporary Pittsburgh. 





We have great shots by Charles Teenie Harries or by Eugene Smith (just to quote the biggest projects) and you can always find the photo you need, about the very old Pittsburgh, on the Historic Pittsburgh Image Collections. That is a website which I love, but there is little about what's going on now, or recently, about WHAT IS REALLY PITTSBURGH, TODAY.  

screenshot of the website

Charles Humphrey, executive director of the Pittsburgh Filmmakers since 1992, is pretty clear about this, in the opening article on Next Level #22. He says that until 5 years ago there was no BFA in photography, in Pittsburgh and the region, and the one that is now offered at Point Park University is connected to the journalism department. Even the Carnegie Museum of Art didn't recruited a photo curator until 2009 and in the history of the city, the most prolific photographers were coming from outside the region. They were focusing, in particular, on documenting Pittsburgh's Renaissance I project (1946-1973). 
According to him, even the most popular photographers currently active, who come from the Pittsburgh area, are mainly working (and being collected) elsewhere. Charlie thinks that Pittsburghers sometimes fail to recognize what they have.

With these intro to my study, I started looking for books about Pittsburgh, starting from the Pittsburgh Filmmakers Library. In my first session, I found these Photography books:

  • Pittsburgh. Photos by Lynn Johnson - Spradlin Patrick 1987

  • Pittsburgh then and now - A. G. Smith - University of Pittsburgh Press 1990

  • Pittsburgh revealed: photos since 1850 - Carnegie Museum of Art 1997


  • The Steps of Pittsburgh; a portrait of a city - Bob Regan - 2004





Other great books I found are:
  • Pittsburgh: a new portrait - Franklin Toker 2009
  • Pittsburgh's Bridges - Walter C. Kidney - PHLF 1999

An then there is the world of books sport-related (Steelers and Penguins) with other travel guides dedicated to the city.

I also found this book of paintings by Ron Donogue: Essence of Pittsburgh. His paintings are always done en plen air, with great attention for the light and the composition. There is definitely a photographic approach to the subject, and despite it cannot be done in a "click", Ron wrote that he tries to capture the specific light of a place in a certain time/moment. 
That is the real Pittsburgh, to me, captured with a lot of details but too little people. 


In my photographic research, I also want to include the Pittsburgh Post Gazette section dedicated to the photos from the city (but not only) which can be seen here.

What I would like to see, in terms of photos, is the people, because I really think that the best of Pittsburgh is the Pittsburghers. Here you can find an example of what I mean: Vanessa German project "Love the front porch" based in the neighborhood of Homewood. This is what I want to see (and share) about Pittsburgh NOW.

Here you can find great skylines from Pittsburgh, by Matt Robinson, while here the GigaPan of Pittsburgh from the UPMC Tower. I also like Dave DiCello work, with HDR stunning photos of the 'Burgh. 


giga panorama

Dave DiCello photo

Still, I think that there is something missing. I am trying to research more about Pittsburgh in photography. All the previous examples are great but pretty specific and, to my opinion, too sectorial. Pittsburgh is wonderful because of everything-put-together. 
Considering the previous examples, I would like to see a mash-up of "people and youth, climbing the steps of the city, reaching the bridges and crossing them, with a crazy view of the rivers and of the hills, playing sport", for example. I know this sounds too much, but that is actually the Pittsburgh experience.

I would like to end this article talking about the Carnegie Museum of Art that has started to go social, let's say, with great projects that call the public to participate. I loved the "Oh Snap!" project, to celebrate some photos recently acquired by the Museum. People where invited to submit their best shots inspired by the new acquisitions. The categories were very different and there was plenty of choice to pick your favorite. 
At the Carnegie Museums they are doing great things not only for the upcoming Carnegie International 2013, but in general, to involve more people from any social background, any age, any field. It is Pittsburgh called to art, and Pittsburgh really loves art - as the Gallery Crawls in Downtown clearly show, together with the Unblurred events in Garfield/Bloomfield/Friendship. 

I will keep searching for more photos and projects. If you think I forgot something, do not hesitate in letting me know, by writing me your suggestion at beaspoli@gmail.com.
I just want to learn more and more, to share it back to all of you. 


No comments:

Post a Comment