Saturday 23 November 2013

Arbor Aid 2013 ft. Tree Pittsburgh and Future Tentant

(Photomontage of the signage on the door - © Bea Spolidoro)


Pittsburgh rocks. And… woods! 
Today I went to the gallery Future Tenant - a space for art, on Penn Avenue (Downtown) to see a workshop. I knew they were making decorations out of recycled materials (which I believe: recycling is the nearest future not only for Christmas decorations). I went there to see what they were creating, but I also found this on-going exhibition that totally blown me away. I decided on the spot to write about that, instead of the workshop, despite I will mention it again in the post.

Little context first: Arbor Aid is juried art exhibition in which artists are selected and presents their works. The only requirement is: the artwork should be << made out of, related to, reclaimed urban wood. (…) The wood used in creating the artwork comes from downed or removed trees, materials from once-occupied buildings, or from other urban reclaimed sources. >>

<< Arbor aid was conceived five years ago by Tree Pittsburgh and late local woodworker John Metzler, founder of the Urban Tree Forge. Arbor Aid celebrates the possibilities presented to us by trees and resources within our city. >>
(quotes are taken from the board explaining the exhibition, in the gallery).

As I was reading all the info, the names, and the motivations of this exhibition, I was very pleased to learn about it. Then I took a tour in the small space, full of people recycling and creating new things.

Well, I am a fan of wood, and I can tell you that all the pieces were amazing either for their meaning, message or aesthetics. In all the cases, the techniques (very different from piece to piece) are remarkable. This is another proof that recycling can also be classy, very classy. 

I selected my favorite pieces and was kindly allowed to take pictures of them. Nonetheless, a photo will never substitute a visit in person. Just sayin'…


Modern lithograph, old technique. Hand carved. 

Above: Peter Johnson, 2013. See more here http://pgjohnsonsculpture.com/home.html 



a very elegant light, and a little guy, made out of a sort of cornice.


 Hearts of wood

Above: Wonderful bowls by Chuck Sawyer. 

Above: a water jug by Gary Raines 

And under a hanging door, used as a canvas for a view on Smallman and the 16th bridge, I find a little table where the Carnegie Museum of Natural History is trying to sensibilize the kids to the theme of Climate Change. And on how it affects PGH. For example, with the problem of the water overflown:
One of the problems is that the rain runs free from the top of the hills, down to the rivers. The Pittsburgh water system is not sized to manage the bigger flows, and the result is a mess, that goes into the rivers.
A thing we could do is trying to capture water before it reaches the sewage system or aqueduct. For example, with rain gardens, green roofs, or by creating parks and planting trees. The kids can try to stop the water falling, on a little game, by putting some pieces of sponge in the right place. 
Pretty amazing activity for kids, right? A cool alternative to video-games, and a sincere way to make the kids aware of their great city, with its big problems. 
I think many adults should play with that as well...

The adults, anyway, were already involved in something useful, at the Upcycle Make & Take Workshop. I was very busy in learning more (and as much as I can) as usual.
Thank you Pittsburgh!




No comments:

Post a Comment