Friday 28 June 2013

12 months in da 'Burgh - PechaKucha Night Pittsburgh vol.15

Yesterday night I attended and presented another PechaKucha Night, in Pittsburgh. It was our 15th edition!
We were at the WYEP Radio, in South Side, and had a lot of fun. 
The quality of the presentations was great: all the presenters spoke about Pittsburgh, or about something PGH-related.
I want to share with you my presentation, about what I learned and discovered spending 12 months in Pittsburgh.


Here we are… In this presentation I'm gonna talk about YOU. I'm going to tell you how I spent 12 months in da burgh, while I was attending an internship in architecture, and -most important- what I learned about PGH and from PGH, in terms of art, architecture, places and the community.

Some of you may already know me, because I am pretty much everywhere, all the time. You can see me in a 4-seasons version, in PGH (on the top) but I was born in Italy, Milan (on the left) where I have a lot of crazy friends. That photo in the right was taken at our graduation ceremony.

When I arrived in PGH, in 2012, it wasn't my first time here. I already knew a little of the city. I knew it was a cool place, trying to re-emerge after the crisis of the steel industry. 
I knew there were a lot of museums and things to do and, to get better prepared, I read a good book which I recommend: The Paris of Appalachian, by Brian O'Neill. 

Nevertheless, when I left Milan, I cried all the flight. Couldn't help!
I was scared to miss my family and friends. Plus... my city, maybe too grey to be put in the number of the italia-must-see. But I love it, even if with all its problems but also its hidden treasures. 

To keep track of my experience, and to stay connected with my Milanese life,  I started a blog called MILANO-PITTSBURGH: it won't be the Marco Polo trip, but i'll do my best for you. 
My friends were fed up with my posts, but it helped me a lot also in preparing this PKN. I am going to present you only the hints for each month.

In  APRIL I loved to go to the North Side, in the Mexican War streets and visit the Mattress Factory. 
I love art and that's a great place, with good exhibitions. I also found this project: google maps agreed to send the google car during a parade. You can see the people celebrating along Samsonia Way, on Street View.

In MAY I really regretted I studied in Italy, instead of at CMU. I studied architecture in Milan, but studying at CMU would have been great anyway.
I love the spaces for the students and the rich variety of architectures, from building to building, which is very inspirational.

In JUNE I was really happy to discover Lawrenceville, with all the fancy shops and boutiques. It somehow reminds me of North Europe, like the historic centers of Amsterdam or Copenhagen  It's really a blast for creativity and start-ups. And you can also develop your own ideas in a number of cafes along butler street.

In JULY I was way less excited of discovering about the problems related to the Marcellus Shale. I am not an activist, but I love the environment and I started reading more about the issue. The documentary GASLAND was really scaring. I would like to invite everybody to keep an eye on what's happening and being aware of the risks.

In AUGUST I could finally see the Batman every Pittsburgher was waiting for. And I had enough knowledge of the city -at that point- that I was able to point out all the buildings pictured. I risked to be thrown out of the theater, but I was very proud of myself. Just a bit disappointed that Mr Nolan destroyed pretty much half of the Burgh, but anyway…

In SEPTEMBER I decided to do something that I've never done before: the Great Race (I'm in the circle). I am still figuring out if I hate more biking or running, but keep fostering both, because they are the best way to discover PGH. I was very excited that day, and very painful for the rest of the week.

In OCTOBER I was blessed with a fantastic win. I've never won anything, not even when my father was trying to let me win, as a kid. In terms of contests or games, I am really "the biggest loser". 
But I did win the Young Architect Studio Competition, for the year 2012.

I proposed to create something special for PGH, that has a great music tradition. I thought to transform the Fort Wayne Bridge (from the David Lawrence Center) in a musical bridge, called "symphony bridge", where people or nature could make music and noise, via instruments hanging everywhere, or just bring their tools.

And suddenly was NOVEMBER, with Thanksgiving (new for me) and the prepping for christmas. I also had the occasion to hear again Vanessa German performing. She is really a great artist, pluri-talented, and also involved in Homewood's "Love the front porch" a project of art for kids.

What I love of Pittsburgh is the people. There are lots of people doing good things for the kids, in problematic neighborhoods. In DECEMBER I attended a show by the Center Of Life in Hazelwood. There were kids from 5 to 19 performing jazz like the masters. Totally amazing!

In JANUARY I had to deal with the snow. But also with great walks in Frick Park, which is wonderful all over the year. Nothing to regret: I believe that PGH is wonderful also under the snow. That allows to discover new perspectives and views even in places you have already visited hundreds of time.

And in case of snow, a visit to the Carnegie is always a nice thing to do. In FEBRUARY, the Heinz Architectural Center organized a big event to celebrate their 20 years anniversary. It was call "Cakeitecture" and this is a cake made into Downtown shape. There were other cakes shaped as other famous buildings. all edible!

In MARCH, with better weather, I spent a lot of time at the cafe 720, on Butler Street, to prepare my second PKN. I presented a guide "how to survive Italians" that was quite fun. I talked about the goods and the bads in italy, but let out Berlusconi which requires a PKN on its own.

And then APRIL was spent pretty much making new friends and discovering the city slower, refining my knowledge of it. This group of kids was just playing in a parking lot, very naturally and simply, and to me they are the symbol of the Burgh: pure enthusiasm even with very little stuff, willing to do better for a larger community.

This is a minimal part of what I learned, discovered and loved of Pittsburgh. There are tons of things that I had to cut here, which are still on my blog (in italian).
I would like to say that this little city or big village -as I say- is a great place to be. It can be tough, but also rewarding. Everybody should be proud to be in Pittsburgh and -even better- to be a Pittsburgher!

Thank you!



No comments:

Post a Comment